skip to main |
skip to sidebar
week 4





Dear Family and Friends,
I
love and miss you all! This week has just been amazing. To start off I
have a little story. So yesterday, Monday the tenth we were supposed to
have a St. Petersburg missionary meeting where Elder Ballard was going
to come and speak to us. Also President Lawrence from the 70, who is the
70 over Eastern Europe. It turns out that Elder Ballard's papers
weren't in order so he had to land in London, not being able to make the
meeting. Yes, it was really sad, but I know everything happens for a
reason so I hope London is loving Elder Ballard:) We had President and
Sister Clark (our mission president) speak and also President and Sister
Lawrence (of the 70) speak, and the meeting was really incredible. When
President Lawrence got up to speak he decided to tell us the real story
of how he came to have the opportunity to speak. So last conference
just in April, President Monson (yes, the prophet), called President
Lawrence into his office and told him that he wanted to visit the
missionaries and members of St. Petersburg!!!!!! (WHAT). Anyways so they
started to plan their trip to Russia. And President Monson was sure
this would work out, but the only thing that would keep it from not
working, was if Sister Monson's condition got worse. And as we all hear,
she died just last month. (honestly the saddest thing I've ever heard).
So President Monson had Elder Ballard take his place in coming to St.
Petersburg, but made it known that he really wanted to still come here
someday. How amazing is that! we almost had the prophet, and then an
apostle come and speak to us! I was pretty excited. And I'm confident
that they will try again to come. The members here, especially in выьорг
(vweborg, or vyborg), are just incredible and would love that
opportunity. They are actually converts from over 20 years ago, the
first in Russia are in our ward here in my area. They are all seriously
wonderful.
Well as you could tell I am just loving my area. My companion and I
are striving to be strictly obedient, and I can't even explain the
blessings that come from it. We had the opportunity to go to TWO dachas
(summer homes) this week! One where we hauled water from a well, up to a
dacha using buckets and a makeshift hand cart. I was definitely sore
after that. Then we went to this family's house and chopped wood for
three hours! Service is probably my most favorite thing to do. Not only
do we get to relax a bit, but we get to do something new, change things
up a bit. Which is always nice and our service of five missionaries
saves the little old babushkas at their dachas honestly days of work.
So I love it!
Our investigators are doing well. They, like most people, are
always very busy. No matter how many times we call them and stop by
their house. People start getting annoyed, and probably wonder if we
have anything better to do. But they don't understand that this IS the
better thing to be doing. We want to do this, and It's our lives now, we
go throughout our day planning lessons, finding less actives, meeting
with members, contacting, our entire goal in life right now is to find
people to come unto Christ. It's so funny, but completely true. And I
love being a missionary:)
So to answer some questions the cars here are normal (well like
the US) and they drive on that side of the road. But there are also cars
with the opposite side steering wheel, that I think are shipped from
the UK, so there are both here. Transportation wise Sister Boud and I
usually walk everywhere, if we need to we take the bus, but very rarely.
We take a train to the city when there are meetings and such, and then
the Metro (which is crazy in and of itself)! I did ride in a van, on the
way to someone's dacha. It had no seats in it but the front, the doors
were ductaped shut, and the entire car framed shook while we drove along
the road. There are no speed limits or stop signs here, just lights on
the more busy streets. The roads are all brick, which gives everything a
really cool look, but they just started to pave here and there where
there were huge holes in the roads. We do drink a lot of tea here,
(herbal tea of course). And so we've had it all, from grass tea (not
recommended) to spearment and berry the TESS brand that I'm pretty sure
is in America too. There is also something called tvorg, which is super
good. It is cottage cheese. And they bake it in everything! Putting jam
over it or sour cream (which they also eat a TON of). I really like the
food here. There are lots of fruits and veggies here, and they eat a lot
of rice and palmoni which are like ravoli.
There is a little about what has been happening in Russia. I'm
doing well and loving it, yes of course it is hard, but there is always
lessons to learn and ways to improve!
I love you all and love
hearing from you! Dear Elders I receive every time I go to st.petersburg
(the city). because i am so far out they have no way to get to me until i
go into the city. So I do get them, just not as often as the MTC. And I
do love getting those as well :) Emails, I usually print them out the
week I get them and then respond the next week:) also please send me
your addresses and I will write letters every once in a while.
Love you!
Sister Yeates
No comments:
Post a Comment