Monday, October 14, 2013

9/30/13

Dearest Family and Friends!
 
Happy Birthday shout out to Caitlin my Sister! Happy Birthday I love you tons! 
Lots of happiness in the world today. Today was a great week! The temperature is dropping RAPIDLY! right now it feels like a Washington winter, and it's only September! I really need to get my coat soon because only so many layers of cardigans keep you warm in Russia. On Sundays the church building is colder inside than outside, so we can see our breath in sacrament meeting! so crazy! We got word that the city will be turning on the heat (which is hot water that runs through the pipes in the buildings) on September 7th, cause it's finally cold enough! AH! but it's okay we just walk briskly everywhere and run into stores or get on buses when it gets too cold. So exciting.
I heard a hilarious quote that missionaries here use and it says, "Every door knocked is a baptism in Brazil..". It's pretty funny and maybe it's a bit more funny from the missionary perspective here. ha ha! My companion and I are the best of friends! I'm going to be so sad to see her go in a couple weeks. She truly is an incredibly missionary and I hope I can be like her!
We had just miracles here this week! We went to find a less active and ended up calling the neighbor to let us in because she wasn't home. We were let in and met with the neighbor who became a new investigator! She is so amazing and really wants to know more about God and how to be saved. And of course we are more than happy to have met her! I just love finding people, and being able to help that person come to know Christ for themselves. And to be their guides in leading them back and reminding them of what they already know! So incredible. We went to another lady who was an old potential investigator. I just loved her so much. She is the mother of 22 children, no, I'm not kidding and yes, they are all hers. We met 3 out of the 22. WOW! pretty incredible. they are all grown up and most of them are moved out. She was such an intelligent woman and really interested in the gospel. She had a book of Mormon from years before but gave it away when she was in the hospital to her roommate who was interested in the book. she's not even a member and is doing missionary work! She was so sorry for giving "our" book away but we told her that we were so glad and that she could have a whole box! She was just so amazing and such a testimony builder that ANYONE can be a missionary. We hope to be meeting with her more and maybe some of her children as well!
This week I was reading in Alma and I just love Alma 31-Alma 40. Such amazing chapters! They are definitely worth reading over and over again. I found some other quotes this week that i really loved. one was in preach my gospel and it says "Your calling gives your authority, keeping your covenants gives you power". Such a powerful and amazing quote. I love how it puts that, and really explains how important our covenants we have made with our Heavenly Father are. Obedience and being worthy are really so important and are what make us stronger and grow our faith and strength in the gospel. Another quote was from Brigham Young in President Utchdorf's talk in this months ensign and it says "every trial and experience you have passed through is necessary for your salvation". Such a testimony builder on how much Heavenly Father loves us and he is ALWAYS there for us through it all. That quote has helped me look for the positive things and lessons learned from my trials. Big or small, there are always lessons to learn and strength to build.
I love you all and I hope you have an amazing week!
Love your Russian Missionary

No comments:

Post a Comment